Thursday, June 11, 2009

10 hour days

It's been just over a year since I started working 4 10-hour days. I was thinking about what I've gained and what I've lost. Here's some of my numbers:
50 - Extra days off work (all but 2 weeks)
3,500 - miles that I haven't traveled commuting
60 - hours I've saved not sitting in my car
100 - gallons of gas I've saved not driving to work
200 - hours of sleep I've lost to get up an hour early
150 - hours of sleep I've gained back on Friday
50 - net loss of sleep
50 - 3-day weekends
50 - times I was glad that it was finally Thursday
450 - hours I've gained on Friday
$350 - money I've saved in gas and an oil change
50 - opportunities to take a nap in the middle of the day

So in conclusion, it was an adjustment working the longer days, but after getting used to it, it's definitely been tolerable. Monday mornings have always been hard, but Thursday's have always been very nice!

2 comments:

JenWright said...

Most interesting. I think 4-10s is definitely the way to go and according to your post the pros outweigh the cons.

Jim said...

That sounds fantastic! I can't hardly wait until I get onto that schedule!