Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My deck project

I am finally getting around to building my deck. We decided about 8 months ago that we were ready to buy a new house. BUT, with the market the way it is, we decided to stay. But if we are going to stay we wanted a few things to be different. In order of priority: 1- fix the yard so that we can use it. 2- build a deck. 3- get a hot tub and put it on the deck. 4- build a shed. So I did (1) and now I am working on (2) and I am anxiously awaiting (3). (4) might not come until next Spring. We'll see. Here is a description of our yard before. House then 10 feet of well groomed and watered grass then a 3 foot rock wall, then a sloping mountain of dirt and weeds. The rock wall is about 45' long then on the South side of the yard there is a steep slope that goes up at about a 40 degree angle for about 15'. Then the yard slopes upward and finally levels at the back of our yard. It was almost impossible to push a lawn mower up that hill, so it's gone. Here is what it looks like now.




UPDATE: 6/17 - I now have all of the decking on the deck, and I now have the stairs on and they are mostly done. However each board only has like 5 screws in each board, and needs somewhere around 20. So at those numbers I have like 4-500 screws left to put it. I still have to put some bracing on my support pillars and so on. Then as soon as I get to that point I can worry about putting rails up. I also have a set of steps from the left side of the deck down to the grass which is about 22 inches, and I figured that would be a tall step without stairs there - since the other stairs are like 8 inches. Still have a ways to go, but I am pressing onward!

No comments: