Thursday, July 10, 2008

Let the Chinese Begin!

I just talked with James and he is still alive. Since he's been in Monerey he said that he's been on sweeping detail. Which means that we walks up and down the sidewalk and sweeps it. Goes to lunch, then goes back to sweeping. Many of the folks sent down there have some major lag time from the time that they arrive until the time that class starts. So they get a lot of detail time. James fortunately starts class today, so he's done with his sweep detail.

He also said that he expects to be able to move to 'phase 2' next week, which means that he'll be able to leave the base. He'll still have to be in uniform - so no water activities - but he can explore beyond his bedroom.

He said that he officially starts class today at 12:30!

1 comment:

Jim said...

I was very enthusiastic about doing base details. I had a great attitude going into it. The airman assigning details even commented on my name and how it is cool. I started sweeping the sidewalk with enthusiasm. -personal question real quick; have you(the reader) ever swept the same sidewalk for 6 hours? - after one day of that I was sure I was ready to begin any language course regardless of the difficulty. I was still positive just maybe not quite as enthusiastic.